20 August 2011

XG's trip to Uvalde

Due to internet problems I wasn't able to post my updates about
Pre-Worlds earlier.
My trip to Uvalde TX started early as I went to Logan Utah first
to fly 15 Meter US Nationals and then traveled directly to Uvalde.
Scenery of flying in Logan was great as picture shows , but
flying was very demanding and it was new experience for me .
Most of the flights were done by using ridge lift generated by
sun not wind. Thermals were broken and climbing after tow to
start altitude was taking up to one hour of hard work.
The contest was great practice of patience and centering broken
thermals. In addition very hot days in Logan prepared me and
Maria for Uvalde heat perfectly.

At the beginning of Pre-Worlds in Uvalde soaring conditions
were as I knew from 2006 US Standard Nationals, but we had
several blue days later which gave substantial advantage to
Australian pilots which are used to fly in blue and strong
conditions.

Contest started very good for me as I took second place on day
one and first on day two , which put me on second position
overall for the most days of the contest .

Contest winner Bruce Taylor from Australia flew perfect
contest winning six days out of eight . American pilots Bill
Elliot and Gary Ittner worked very hard to pass me and they
succeeded on the last two days finishing ahead of me and I
finished as third loser on fourth positions after eight days of
flying. On the worst days winners had speeds of 136km/h and
average task speed of day winner was 145km to 148km/h.
In such situation one mistake and speed was down substantially,
recovery was impossible.
Lucky me as we were flying just Pre-Worlds, I hope I will be
able to do less mistakes next year.
To date this season gave me good contest practice before
Worlds as I flew total five contests, winning three of them.

Statistics from 33 days trip:
20 days of flying .
In the glider - 80 hours, 8,000 km
My personal best task speed using thermals- 153.4km/h (Uvalde)
Two land-outs ( Logan )
One flight trough thunderstorm ( never again) ( Logan)
Car travel- 9 days 12,000km trough 18 states.
Days with trace of rain- two
Days with temperture above 36C- 30
Jerzy

No comments:

Post a Comment