06 August 2012

Dave's Day 2

The 18 m task today covered a lot of our flying area, first we went north about 115 km into the hills, then 235 km south to put us 125 km from home at the final turn.  The conditions were good, but not as good as Uvalde has to offer.  My high point for the day was 8500 and best climb was 8.3 kts, but average for the day was 5.5


The wind was generally light and easterly, so there was not much in the way of streeting on course today.  The easterly leg up north aligned reasonably well with the wind and gave us a pretty good run.  The southerly leg, as you can see required some zig-zags to align with little streets and to get around some blue holes.  In all, there were 3 blue holes of 20-30 km each that we had to cross.  Fortunately, we were able to climb to 6-7000 ft before gliding across the holes
.

Early in the flight, I was able to catch up with some that started 5 minutes earlier and was able to get ahead of some of them, then I had a bit of a slow spot coming south out of the hills and fell behind and ended up on my own until south of the turn at Dilley where I met a couple of other gliders on the way in to the last turn.  I saw them a few more times on the final leg.  I was probably too conservative on the final leg home, but the sky was going blue and I didn't push hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment