08 August 2014

Dave's Lucky Day 13

Today, I came up with yet another way to blow the day.  After passing the first turnpoint and heading 9 km along the second leg, I couldn't understand why my computers were still navigating me to the first turn as they should automatically change to the next point upon entry into the zone.  Since both computers were saying the same thing, I decided this meant I really had missed the turnpoint zone.  I couldn't remember if the penalty for missing a zone was 50 points or a land-out so I turned around and went back another 9 km.

I now know, it is a 50 point penalty for a miss up to 500 m.  Instead, I gave myself about a 300 point penalty by going back. As you can see in the image below, my miss was very small, I measured it to be 50 m in See You.  

So in retrospect, I should have known about the 50 point penalty and just moved on. Besides the loss of time for flying an extra 18 km for no reason, it also broke my concentration and really pissed me off, so that didn't help for the rest of the flight.  So at the end of the day, I ended up in 1 kt thermals struggling to get home and thus ended a horrible day.

But since feedback should always end on a positive note - at least I wasn't last on the day despite all my errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment