17 January 2017

Day 5 - Dave

We had a 5 hr Area task today with a max distance of 870 km.  No one used it all, but the winner flew 715 km @141 km/hr.  My paltry 124 earned me a lowly 26th on the day and dropped be 6 places overall.  The scores are very tight in the 18 m class so it does not take much to have a significant move.

I was running along well on the first leg and an hour into the flight I was averaging 144 km/hr, then I got low, 4500 ft, and the clouds were based up over 11,000 ft.  It took me too long to reconnect and my speed dropped to 114.  I knew I had a problem!

Once reconnected, I was pretty much by myself and pushed to keep my speed improving.  I see a few other people also had a "bad day".

As you can see in the barograph trace, it was a pretty good day working generally between 6000 and 10000 ft.  Climbs were about 6 kt average.



It looks like this may have been the best weather day of the contest.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment